717-762-2101 | www.waynesboropa.org
55 E. Main Street, Waynesboro, PA 17268
Borough Council, Mayor
Waynesboro was founded in 1749 when Scotsman John Wallace settled near the Antietam Creek. Wallace held title to 633 acres, almost one square mile. He called his land “Mount Vernon,” while others referred to it as “Wallacetown.” His son, John, later inherited the land after returning home from fighting in
the Revolutionary War.
In 1797, John mapped out a town of 90 lots, which he named “Waynesburg” after his admired commander, General “Mad” Anthony Wayne. The town’s name was contested by several other Pennsylvania towns bearing the same name and the federal government soon ruled post offices in the same state could not have the same name. The town was incorporated as “Waynesborough,” which in 1831 was shortened to “Waynesboro.”