(717) 762-7123
   Youtube

Mont Alto Borough

Originally two neighboring villages coined Funkstown and Alto Dale, Mont Alto was sparsely settled in 1762 and was named for John Funk, the first settler of Alto Dale, in 1817. The Mont Alto Railroad was built in 1872 to facilitate transportation of products. Soon after, the two villages of Funkstown and Alto Dale combined to become Mont Alto.

Legend has it that well-known abolitionist John Brown lived in Franklin County and occasionally taught Sunday School at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Mont Alto, now located at the edge of the Penn State Mont Alto campus. Dr. Joseph T. Rothrock established the Mont Alto Forest Academy in 1903. It became annexed by the Borough of Mont Alto and in 1959, Penn State Mont Alto began offering courses.

Visit the Mont Alto Borough website.